2019 Clef Competition
THE VMO CLEF CONCERTO COMPETITION
Open to every instrument and to every person regardless of nationality.
There are two age groups: Junior –up to 12 years of age (based on your date of birth as of April 30), and Senior 13 years and up.
ROUND 1: Consists of Two Pieces: a solo piece from the Baroque OR Classical period AND one piece from the Romantic/Contemporary period.
The time allotment is: 25 minutes for Senior for the two pieces combined and 15 minutes for Junior for the two pieces combined.
ROUND 2: Consists of ONE movement ONLY of a Concerto of your choice. The time allotment for Senior is 25 minutes and 15 minutes for Junior. Please note ONE MOVEMENT ONLY even if it is less than the allotted time.
There will be one first place winner for the Senior group and one first place winner for the Junior. The Artist Award for the Senior is $1000.00 and $500.00 for Junior.
Rules and Regulations
- The timing of a piece MUST be accurate. The adjudicator WILL stop any performance which goes over the allowed time. The adjudicator may also cut a performance if they feel a sufficient evaluation has been made.
- If the concerto chosen by the entrant is not in the library of the VMO then the student will be required to pay for the purchase or rental of the concerto.
- A piece performed in Round 1 cannot be repeated in Round 2.
- All performers will play behind a screen for round one only.
- No marks nor adjudications will be handed out at the end of a performance.
- Under no circumstances should the adjudicator be approached by any person. This includes competitors, teachers, parents, relatives, friends or accompanists. An infraction of this rule will result in the competitor’s elimination from the festival.
- Registered protests MUST be made in writing to the festival committee during the Festival and accompanied by a protest fee of $50.00. The fee will be returned if the protest is sustained.
- By sending this application it is understood that the requirements have been read and accepted by the entrant.
- The winners of round two will be announced on December 10th, 2019. Please do not phone.
- Parents/teachers will remain in the waiting area while their child/student is performing. Only accompanists are permitted in the performing area.
*Application must be postmark by September 30, 2019. Don’t miss out! Apply today!
Mail your application form with a cheque of the Entry Fee to 239-2416 Main Street, Vancouver, BC V5T 3E2. Cheque payable to Vancouver Metropolitan Orchestra
Venue: Tom Lee Music Vancouver
728 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC
(Granville & West Georgia)
Dates November 19-21, 2019
Application Deadline: September 30. 2019